How To Toast Bread In Toaster Oven
Toasting your favorite bread or bagel in the toaster oven is a great way to dispense with an extra appliance and save space. Toasting in a toaster oven is quite different from using a standard toaster. A toaster oven heats faster and more evenly than a conventional kitchen appliance. That means you’ll need to adjust your timing accordingly, but it’s not difficult. Toasting bread in your toaster oven is easy so read on for our simple tips and tricks!
How To Toast Bread In Toaster Oven
1. Preheat your toaster oven
Before you begin, preheat your toaster oven to the desired temperature. We typically like to toast bread at around 350°F. If you have a convection feature, then use it. Preheating your toaster oven takes several minutes which is why we recommend setting aside a few minutes before you start.
2. Cut the bread as directed on the package
Cut your bread into slices and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet or cookie sheet. We like using parchment paper for this purpose as it makes for easy cleanup later on! Place the baking sheet or cookie sheet in the preheated oven and let it toast for about 3-4 minutes until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
3. Remove from oven and flip over slices
Once your bread is ready, remove it from the oven and flip over each slice so that they are ready for further cooking in the toaster oven’s crumb tray.
4. Add the crumbs to the crumb tray
Sprinkle a generous amount of crumbs over the bread slices in the toaster oven’s crumb tray. This will help prevent your bread from sticking together as it bakes.
5. Return bread slices to oven and bake again for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the desired toastiness is reached
Return the bread slices to the oven and bake again at 350°F for 2-3 minutes or until you’ve reached your desired level of toastiness! Allow your bread to cool before removing it from its paper or parchment paper wrapper, and enjoy!
Dry Ingredients For Toasted Bread
For a crisp, brown crust, try using a lower heat setting. We’d suggest baking at 325°F (163°C) for 12-15 minutes. For softer crusts with more of a crunch, increase the heat setting to 400°F (204°C).
2. Butter or margarine
Place 1 tsp per slice of bread into the toaster oven before heating up the oven. Just like with toast, it’s best to use softened butter or margarine when toasting bread in your toaster oven because it will melt at a lower temperature than unsalted butter or margarine.
To improve the taste of your bread and to make it more flavorful, sprinkle some salt over it before placing it in the oven.
You can add a little sugar on top of your bread or bagel to make it sweeter, or you can also try sprinkling a pinch of sugar on the outside before placing it in the toaster oven.
If you’ve got some fresh yeast in your kitchen, you may want to try adding it on top of your bread or bagel when it’s in the oven. The yeast will help to leaven your bread and create more air pockets for a lighter texture. Just take care not to burn it because that would ruin the taste of your bread!
What Are Some Tips For Getting The Perfect Toast In A Toaster Oven?
- Check the bread first. A lot of toaster ovens aren’t designed for consistent heating, which means that you may end up with toasted bread that is either undercooked or overcooked. If you notice that the bread is slightly brown and crispy but not fully baked, set the oven to 350°F instead of 425°F. This should help your bread cook more evenly.
- Check your recipe! Some recipes call for a higher temperature than others, like bagels and frozen dinner entrees. Try them out and find out what works best for you!
- Turn down the heat if your toast is too brown or burnt! If you notice your bread turning dark brown on top before it’s finished cooking through, turn down the oven temperature by 25 degrees F (15 degrees C).
- Don’t be afraid to throw in some spices! This can go a long way in making even the simplest foods taste amazing. Try sprinkling some dried thyme or rosemary over your toast or bagel and you’ll be in for a treat!
What’s The Best Way To Avoid Burning Toast In A Toaster Oven?
1. Use a toaster oven that has a browning rack
A traditional toaster oven doesn’t have a browning rack. The bottom of the toaster is too close to the heating elements, meaning it gets too hot and can burn your bread. It’s not uncommon for people to burn toast in a standard toaster—and even though it’s not an ideal situation, it’s better than burning your bread! A good toaster oven should include a browning rack that sits above the heating elements so you can easily place your bread on top of that rack and get the perfect toast every time.
2. Preheat the oven before placing the bread into the oven
The best way to avoid burning toast in a traditional kitchen appliance is by pre-heating the appliance before adding any food items such as bread or bagels. You can check if your appliance is ready by checking if there are no signs of smoke coming out of its vents.
3. Keep a close eye on the bread as it toasts
The best way to avoid burning toast in a traditional kitchen appliance is by keeping an eye on your food item as it cooks. If you notice that the bread is getting too brown, you can remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before placing it back in the oven. Also, if you notice signs of smoke coming out of your appliances, such as black or gray smoke, turn off the power and unplug from the wall before opening any doors or windows to let out any smoke.
A toaster oven is a great appliance to have around. It does many of the same things as its larger countertop brother and usually for much less money. Plus, it takes up less space. Toasting bread in a toaster oven is quite easy if you follow some of these tips. Plus, you can make pancakes in your toaster oven, too. Hopefully, you’re now ready to whip out that toaster oven and start toasting! If you incorporate these tips into your toasting routine, you’ll see that it’s easier than ever to prepare delicious, warm bread in the toaster oven!