How To Cut Chicken Breast Into Strips
Chicken strips are a healthy alternative to other high-fat, high-calorie chicken pieces. While these thin cuts of meat are not as flavorful as other chicken parts, they can be used in various recipes and have several health benefits. Luckily, it’s very easy to cut a chicken breast into strips. All you need is a sharp knife and about five minutes of your time. Read on for more details on how to cut chicken breasts into strips.
How To Cut Chicken Breast Into Strips
- First, take the chicken breast out of the package. Make sure that you do not slice through any of the other contents on it.
- With a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of the breast. This will make it easier for you to make thin cuts on the chicken breast.
- Use a knife to separate each piece from the other then cut them into strips using a clean cutting board and kitchen shears or poultry shears if you have them.
- You can also use a pair of scissors if you don’t have either tool for cutting chicken breasts into strips at home, but it will require more effort than using your kitchen shears or poultry shears.
- After all the pieces are separated, place them in a bowl so that they can cool down before going in your refrigerator where they will stay fresh and ready to be used later on in your cooking process or simply eaten as is by themselves with some ketchup, mustard or other dipping sauce.
- You can also choose to use your poultry shears if you have them and cut the breast into strips before cooking it. All you have to do is cut the breast into strips without cutting through the skin of the chicken breast. Then, place your chicken breast on a cutting board and proceed to carve each piece into strips using poultry shears or kitchen shears.
- Once you have the strips, you can either use the same cutting board and knife to make the strips into smaller pieces or place your strips on a clean cutting board and use a knife to cut each strip into smaller pieces.
- If you wish to keep the chicken breast in one piece, cut it in half before placing your strips on a clean cutting board and using a knife to cut each strip into smaller pieces.
- Once you have all your chicken breast pieces ready, place them in a bowl so that they will stay fresh and ready for cooking later on or simply eaten as is by themselves with some ketchup, mustard, or other dipping sauce.
Why Should You Cut Chicken Breast Into Strips?
Chicken breast is a lean and healthy food item. It contains less fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol than other chicken parts such as wings and drumsticks. Chicken breast is also a good source of protein, iron, vitamin B6, zinc, and selenium. All these nutrients are essential for your health. While you can use chicken breast in any recipe which calls for chicken pieces, you should consider cutting it into strips to make it more appetizing.
It’s Cost Effective
A one-pound package of pre-cut chicken strips costs about $3 to $4 at most supermarkets and grocery stores in the United States. On the other hand, a whole one-pound package of uncut chicken breasts costs about $4 to $5 at most supermarkets and grocery stores in the United States. If you want to save money on buying prepackaged food items, then cutting your own meat might be a good idea for you.
It’s Quick & Easy To Cook
Cutting chicken breast into strips is easy and quick. You will need to spend only a few minutes with your kitchen knife to prepare the food. If you prefer to make chicken pieces in bulk, then you can use your meat saw to cut the meat into strips. However, if you are in a hurry, then you can use a chef’s knife to slice the chicken breast into strips as shown in the below video clip.
It Has Less Fat & Calories Than Other Chicken Parts
Chicken breast has less fat than other parts of the chicken such as wings and drumsticks. A one-pound package of pre-cut chicken strips contains about 7g of fat and 90 calories while a one-pound package of uncut whole breasts contains about 10g of fat and 170 calories respectively. On the other hand, drumsticks contain 10g of fat and 170 calories per pound while wings contain 24g of fat and 375 calories per pound.
It’s Easy To Stuff With Stuffing
Chicken breast cuts are easy to stuff with stuffing, such as bread crumbs, meatloaf, hamburger meat, or even salad dressing. You can also stuff chicken breasts with a flavorful sauce such as honey mustard or barbecue sauce to make it more appetizing. If you prefer to use chicken breast in recipes that call for chicken pieces, then you should consider cutting it into strips before using it for stuffing. When you cut the meat into strips, it will be easier to fit the pieces into your favorite recipes without having to break them apart first.
What Are The Benefits Of Cutting Chicken Breasts Into Strips?
- Chicken breast cuts are low in fat and calories, and they can be used for several different types of recipes.
- They are also very versatile and can be used to make a variety of chicken dishes, from salads to sandwiches to stir-fry, among others.
- They’re great for people who want to lose weight because they can be eaten in moderation without affecting the overall calorie intake.
- Chicken breast cuts are easy to prepare and don’t require much preparation time or effort. Most of them only take five minutes to cut into strips, so you will be able to cook them in no time!
- They are also good for people who are trying to reduce their intake of fats and calories.
What Mistakes Do People Make When Cutting Chicken Breasts Into Strips?
1. Cutting the chicken breast all at once
This is a common mistake beginners make because they think it’s too hard to cut thin slices of chicken. In reality, it’s not that hard. The trick is to start with one end and work your way up.
2. Cutting with a dull knife
Dull knives can easily break the thin meat layers, so make sure you sharpen your blade before you begin cutting. If you don’t have time to do that, buy a sharp knife or use one that’s already sharpened as much as possible.
3. Cutting against the grain
Chicken breast cuts are easy to cut against the grain if you’re experienced with cutting meat into thin strips, but it’s not a good idea for beginners, because it can damage and tear apart the meat layers if done wrong. Try cutting strips from both sides of the breast first and then making thinner slices from one side only.
4. Cutting on a hard surface
A sharp knife is the only way to go when cutting chicken breasts into strips. Try cutting on a cutting board with a soft surface, like a plastic cutting board. This will prevent the meat from breaking apart and tearing your fingers.
5. Cutting too fast
For beginners, it is best to cut the chicken breast in small strips, one or two at a time. If you’re trying to cut too much meat at once, you might end up with a few large pieces of chicken, instead of thin strips.
6. Not using proper chopping skills
While free-form slicing may seem easy and quick to do, it’s very difficult if you don’t have proper chopping skills (and patience). It’s not just about making sure you’re using the right knife; it’s also about making sure that you have enough space between each layer of meat so that they can be cut without breaking apart in the process.
Chicken breast is the most common type of chicken consumed in the Western world. It can be eaten both fresh and cooked. If you are looking for a way to change up your typical chicken breast recipes, you can cut chicken breast into strips. You can then use the strips in various recipes, including sandwiches, salads, stir-fries, and pasta. Cutting a chicken breast into strips is easy. All you need is a sharp knife and about five minutes of your time. Besides tasting better, if you cut chicken breast into strips, you will consume less fat and fewer calories.